Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sketching!

Sunday Snuggles in Starbucks
7/29/2007
This morning my dh and I walked to the local Starbucks which is about 1.5 miles away. This is a walk we do often. Today however we planned on sitting for a while to enjoy our morning coffee. I suggested that he bring his paper and then I could bring my sketchbook. That way he could be my decoy! Not really...that way I could sketch!
I love to sketch in my sketchbook. I'm not so comfortable sketching totally in public and especially not random people. However I think it is such a good practice to do it. I keep finding ways to get out there and sketch.
This dad and son where seated so cozily just behind my dh. I just HAD to try and capture them. So I asked my dh to scooch over a little so I could cleverly peak over his shoulder and watch and sketch the snugly moment. They were reading about service dogs. The little boy was so excited to listen. He was so cute with his Croqs on and all cuddled up in his dad's lap. He didn't sit as still as I needed, but I tried to work quickly to capture the moment.
First I used my pencil. It is easier for me to work with a pencil and then go over with my sharpie. I need to practice more to get the quick drawing directly with a pen still. I've learned from all the other times I've drawn people with a Sharpie that it can go wrong REAL quick with one false mark....I know, you are supposed to work with those mistakes, but I'm not always up for that.

Mid-Summer's Night Dreams
7/20/2007

This is another entry from my Houseboat sketches. I turned this into an Artist Trading Card for the CMP. I printed it out on fabric and embellished it with beads. You can see it on my flickr site. This is more typical of what I like to do in my sketchbook. I'm up early by myself and can create from things that are happening in my life.
My ds was having very vivid dreams on the houseboat. He was jumping up and screaming to no one. He did this while we were sleeping on the top of the boat. After that night where we had to jump up and catch him near the edge with the sleeping bag around his feet....we decided he
(and I) were relegated to sleep below in the cabin.
He really wanted to sleep up top with everyone as usual, so I envisioned his dream in my sketchbook instead this year!