Monday, March 31, 2008

Circle Text Poetry

Something fun & interesting to try!
After listening to CraftCast, which is a podcast where the host interviews people who are in the creative industries, I was inspired to try my hand at what a guest had described as a creative spark activity. Dayle Doroshow explained how she has used this prompt in classes she teaches. It is called "Circle Text Poetry". You simply find some text (say a magazine article), begin by circling words from the article. The words are simply what ever you pick...what stands out to you. Then take the circled words and copy them down in same order on the page. See what happens...the following are 3 examples I had tried. (I came up with the titles after I read my words. I also either combined the words together or split them up...depending on how I wanted to emphasize their meanings.)


Loving Life
(by Julie Ferrario)

Living Free
You Deserve
A Loving Family

Make Room
For Pleasure
A Valuable Time

Of Peace...
Increase Heart Understanding
Need Time

Admit Powerful Aging
---------------------------------------------------
Raising People
(by Julie Ferrario)

Imagine Delicate
Cradle
Unique Creation
Brilliant
Life

Every Feature
Petite
Hold Cuddle
Real

Arrives Sweet
Buttons
Important First

Send
Complete
--------------------------------------------------

Happiness
(by Julie Ferrario)

Sun
Citrus
Freshener
Easy Come Jumpstart
Life